Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A day in life....

...I was going to write about my day....

...but then my evening ended up being so interesting that I've decided to write about the last three hours instead.

21:20 - Arrive home from my Global Marketing class.

21:45 - My cellphone rings just as I'm settling into my recliner and putting my feet up:

"Hello?"

"Ja, Hallo."

"Hello?"

"Ja, Hallo."

---now I'm translating what was said---

"What are you doing?"

"Just got home from school, so relaxing."

"Ah...want to meet up?"

"Now?"

"Sure, I'll meet you at Schwedenplatz in thirty minutes."

"Oh. Ok."

21:55 - I leave the house. Looks like I won't be getting a head start on my homework tonight.

22.30 - I meet up with my acquaintance and we head over to a favourite hangout.

23:45 - Men in kilts start singing and dancing around....to the Y-M-C-A. Yeah. Time to leave.

00:30 - I walk into my apartment to waves of smoke. I drop my things at the front door and do a quick walk through of the apartment. There doesn't seem to be any fire, but the place smells terrible.

As I am carrying my things through the dinning room I notice something out of the corner of my eye. One of the flower boxes outside is smoking. As in billowing white clouds against the night sky. What's going on? I move closer. Three of the four sides of the flower box have melted. Pools of red embers fade and then flicker back to life. The wind is blowing ash and sparks into the apartment through a crack in window sill.

What do I do? Panic? No. Of course not. I run into my room for my dictionary. How do you say spark in German? Hmmmm. My host parents are sleeping so I don't want to wake them up while jabbering on in English. Great. The German word had more to do with a spark plug. Now what?

I stand and watch the glowing flower box for a few minutes. There is a strong breeze, so sparks whirl in the wind and slide through the crack in the window sill. Should I wake my host parents? Should I just dose the flower box with water? Hmmm... Decisions, decisions. This would be a lot easier if there were flames leaping about instead of sparks dancing in the wind.

I decide to wake my host parents. Luckily my host mother wakes up quickly and manges to make sense of my panicked mash of German and English. We spend the next thirty minutes playing fireman. Her in her long nightgown, me in evening make up and fancy jewellery. We made quite the pair.

I think we'll try out for the fire brigade tomorrow. In the meantime I'm going to head to bed. Have a good evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh....

I can just picture this one!

:-)