Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bittersweet

Last night I wrote my second last final exam. It's hard to believe that it's already the end of the semester. Time has flown by so quickly. On the one hand I'm excited because I worked hard during the semester so that I could 'party' hard now. So far I'm going to be going to Spain, Italy and Germany visiting lots of friends and relatives.
At the same time however, I'm sad. I've started to make close friendships and have really been accepted into the church I've been attending. My guest parents have been so kind and supportive. Even my guest brother has been easy to get along with. I have come to love the quirks of taking public transit everywhere and I will miss the proximity to everything. I will miss strolling along the river and going out for coffee with classmates. I will miss watching the last of the sun' rays paint the church steeple gold and the smell of fresh pastries from the bakery down the street. Sigh.
God really provided for me and it's been amazing to watch. I remember fighting panic attacks on my flight over because I was coming to a strange city without permanent accommodations. But He provided. And what a place He provided: high ceilings, walking distance to downtown and the best shopping street in the city and most importantly, a family who has practically adopted me. I've come to love it here.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't miss you. I do. I just wish there was someway of having you with me without having to give up the culture and lifestyle. I wish there was some way to merge the two worlds I live in.

So, I've decided: instead of depressing you all with how sad I am to be leaving, I'm going to try and post snapshots of my life here. One a day, for the rest of my trip. Ha, no, that's too optimistic. One a day until I forget. :)

No comments: