Friday, June 1, 2007

Evolution; Or, the case of the walking jacket

It's almost 5:30 a.m. here. I've just arrived home. The sky is a patchwork of blues. The further east I look the more the navy blue is fading into pale bleached blue. Maybe I shouldn't bother going to bed at all - the patchwork is guaranteed to become even better.

Today has been a wonderful way to kick start my last month. I've organized accommodations for my family when they come visit me (next week already!), helped some girl friends get ready for a wedding taking place later this afternoon, gone out for dinner with my host family, and had an excellent time exploring the musical side of Vienna.

There has been one down side to the day: I've lost my cell phone. Now before you lecture me on "one place for everything and everything in it's place", you should know that for once, it's not really my fault. Ha ha, I sense your disbelief. Keep reading...

My cellphone was in my friend's jacket. Why? Because we figured I'd loose it otherwise and it would be safe there. Over the course of the evening, the supposedly safe denim jacket grew legs (hmmm...proof for Darwin's theories?). Maybe the jacket didn't like the music, or, maybe it didn't like all the smoke, but when we got up to leave it was gone. One jacket, one set of office keys and two cell phones - gone.

On the plus side, this walking denim jacket sparked a search through downtown Vienna. I've seen a whole new side of Vienna. The revelers of a few hours ago have stumbled home, littering the gutters with tokens of their presence - empty cans and bottles. The Museums Quarter is a mess at four in the morning, but very peaceful. If you close your eyes and listen to the birds chirping in the trees and the water splashing in the foot pond you'd never guess you were in the middle of a city.

My window faces east and the sky is now a delicate cream. What a day it has been. I'm looking forward to making the rest of the 30 days just as memorable.


Product Promotion:

This 21-hour-day-on-four-hours-of-sleep was proudly supported by large amounts of Red Bull.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna,
I've just been catching up on your blogs. I missed your way with words...I hope everything is well. Can you believe you'll be back in a few months?

Basilica

Anonymous said...

Love the Red Bull comment!
So good....