Monday, March 19, 2007

Electrified

Friday afternoon I rushed home. I was free. Finally. Classes were over for the week and I could get on with the adventures I'd planned. And believe me. I had planned. During the last few days I had organized my schedule down to relatively small details. In the last class break I had drawn up a list of things I had to do within the next two hours in preparation for the evening and now it was time to put that list into action.

Once I home I rushed between the kitchen, my bedroom and the bathroom. I hurriedly ate my lunch and chopped some veggies for later. My book bag sat stocked with my textbook, notes and pens by the table at the front entrance. I slipped into the outfit I'd laid out hours before, changed my jewellery, fixed my hair and touched up my makeup. Cellphone and money in my purse, chilled water bottle, snack and school supplies I flew out the door.

Although I could walk to my destination I was in a real hurry. Every minute was precious that afternoon. The Strassenbahn was just pulling up to the stop as I arrived. Fifteen minutes and one transfer later I was there. Would it be too late? Should I just turn around and go back home? I waited anxiously for the light to change. Finally the green man appeared and winding my way through tourists soaking in the surroundings, business women striding off to lunch meetings and grandmothers chatting about their latest purchases I managed to cross the street. Rushing around the side of the building I came face to face with a long line of people. I asked the lady at the front how long she'd been waiting here - since 6:30 in the morning. "Wow, what dedication," I thought as I smiled politely and made my way to the back of the line.

For the next three hours I sat on the concrete with my Information Architecture textbook on my lap and my notes and pens in front of me. In between reading I watched people hurry past. Some were on their way to client meetings, some had just picked up their children from school, some were wandering along looking at the architecture and others were rushing to secure their spot at the end of the line. I overheard some tourists asks what soccer game everyone was lined up for. When someone in the line explained what was really going on the tourists looked baffled, "Stand in line for hours just for that? Why?" Part of me could understand their reaction, but then again, I was in line for "that" too making me just as fanatical as the tourists probably thought.

Emmi and Pia, two exchange students from Finland, came and joined me just before 16.00. They couldn't have timed their arrival better. Fifteen minutes later the doors swung open and the line started to move. Inside a roped pathway twisted and turned through hallways. We managed to get inside and soon we were sitting on marble floor - waiting - again. Pia and Emmi were planning to go to Bratislava the next day so they discussed their itinerary and I updated my day planner. All around us people were reading, eating bagged lunches, sipping tea from thermoses and those lucky enough to be sitting against a wall tried to doze. The lady in front of us was knitting an "Oberkleid" (not sure what the translates into...maybe like an apron or pinafore to go over a dress) for one of her granddaughters while her husband checked the price of his stocks in the newspaper. The atmosphere was controlled anticipation with a sprinkle of tension. How would the situation progress?

Just before 17.00 the mood started to change. People were becoming restless. I watched a middle age couple trying to pack away the remnants of their dinner - the movements were quick but jerky and almost hesitant as if they were trying to pack everything away without being noticed (next time if you feel you might have to inconspicuously pack up your dinner don't bring a something wrapped in paper - it's too loud when you're trying to put it away). A few people stood up as if to stretch but then just remained standing. Exactly at 17.00, four personnel strode into the room. Their appearance created a stir. The line jumped up, some scrambled to collapse the folding chairs they had brought, others frantically gathered up the papers they had strewn around on the floor. The next part of the adventure was about to take place.

Woosh. The ticket window flew open and line began to move forward. Step by step, person by person. Once the past the ticket window though - all restraint vanished. People sprinted down the hallway. What was the hurry? Where was everyone rushing?

To another line up that's where. Emmi, Pia and I were squished into a line up and there we stood. There was no sitting down this time. The calm patience of a few hours ago had fled. Now people were muttering and jostling. Some were even complaining to the personnel about the long waiting times. Exactly how long we waited I don't know, all of a sudden though the main doors flung open and the lines began to pour through. Emmi, Pia and I had worked out a strategy earlier, now we moved into action. We hurtled up the stairs as fast as we could and then, out into the open. Pia and I rushed down the centre and swung quickly to the left. Emmi and Annette (an Austrian girl we'd befriended while sitting in line outside) were a few steps behind us. Pia and I literally pulled them into the row behind us. Only after securing our spots did we really begin to relax and breathe. Phew. We'd made. Where were we? In the Staatsoper Parterre just off the main floor, fourth row from the front - standing room tickets to see Anna Netrebko.

How was the opera? Impressive. How was Anna Netrebko? Absolutely amazing. I can't even begin to describe the vocal range that woman has and as for the clarity and tone of her voice? Wow. With talent like that, I can begin to understand why people lined up for 31 hours just to buy tickets to her opening performance. Anna Netrebko electrified the crowd. I have never seen anything in the classical music world like that. People cheered, chanted, shouted and waved as if their lives depended upon it. The applause went on and on. After 11 curtain calls I lost count of how many times she came back out onto the stage. I loved it. If this had been North America, Anna Netrebko would have to be some trashy blond celebrity or a teenage boy band to get this kind of admiration. Everyone from the 13 year old girls close to the stage to the 40 year old power couples sitting in private boxes to the 84 year old grandmothers sitting in wheel chairs were enthralled. The hours of standing in line were worth every second.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're an awsome writer. I love reading your posts. It sounds liek you had a grea time. Maybe I'll join you next time.



~Basillica

Anonymous said...

who'd have thought - you becoming an opera afficionado! I really enjoy reading your blog. You're a good writer.
Have a good visit with my parents this weekend!

Cara