Sunday, March 25, 2007

A walk through the Volksgarten

Today there was a break in the rain (finally!) so after church I strolled through the Volksgarten (People's garden) on my way home. I thought I'd post some pictures so that you can enjoy some of the spring scenery.

Coming from the Burgtheater (Castletheater) into the Volksgarten. The Volksgarten was built in 1820 on the site of the Burgbastei which Napoleon's army had destroyed. The garden quickly became a popular hang out spot. The last time I was in Vienna (June 2004) I came here one afternoon and couldn't find an empty bench or even a chair . The Viennese love to come here alone or with family and friends. I can understand why. There are paths to wander down, shaded walks in the summer and rows of chairs backed by walls of roses.



Some of the rose bushes and climbing rose stalks (this view is towards the Museumsquartier). Every rose has a name: Queen Elisabeth, Dreamcloud, Charlotte, Ballerina to name a few.

The largest tree in the park - a chestnut tree - this would be perfect for building a tree fort.


Violets


The Theseus Temple

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...everything looks so nice.
50% happy, 50% jealous.

Basilica

Natasha said...

I would have to agree with the last post...

Little Miss Domestica said...

I'm betting that the photos don't do it justice. It looks so beautiful there. And I totally agree with Basilica.