Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The lights at 37,000 feet

Have you ever flown across the Atlantic? What did you think? I've been across a few times, but yesterday (or really Sunday night into Monday morning) was one of the better flights.

I made it to the airport early enough to be assigned an aisle seat by the emergency exit (a favourite spot for passengers who are willing to put up with the noise and cold in exchange for the extra foot space). After spending an hour with family and friends I lined up to go through security. What a procedure. Fifteen minutes later, after declaring how many litres of fluid and gel I was carrying, unpacking my laptop, taking off my shoes and walking through the metal detector four times (my belt set it off, then my bracelet) I was through. I waved goodbye and off I went.

For once the airline boarded us on time and we took off only 15 minutes behind schedule. Early on into the flight the two passengers behind me started the ever popular, Edmonton vs. Calgary debate - only it wasn't two Albertans debating - it was a Swede and a Hungarian. I listened as they argued in their accented English about location, proximity to events, public transportation and yes, even hockey. It was interesting to hear the different perspectives.

After dinner I wrapped myself in blankets and my winter coat and drifted off to sleep. Around 11:30 p.m. I woke up and looked outside. I blinked. I couldn't believe my eyes. There outside, at an altitude of 37,000 feet I could see a shimmering band of green - the Aurora borealis. Although I've seen it before, this was the clearest and longest display I've ever seen. The ribbon of colour stretched at times right across my window pane and far into the distance. I watched for almost 30 minutes as the lights danced across the sky. Every so often there would be bursts of pinks and purples. It was enough to convince me - when I get back to Canada I'm renting a truck and camper and going up north to watch these lights glide across the night sky.

I tried to capture the beauty on camera, but it isn't the same. I've posted one of the better pictures, however, to fully appreciate the impressiveness and sheer beauty of this natural phenomenon, I'd suggest you try viewing them yourself... at 37,000 feet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful memory for you...

Little Miss Domestica said...

Anna! That is so super amazing and cool! What a once-in-a-lifetime thing! Wow! Isn't the world and this universe beautiful?

marcella said...

AnnA! I am coming with you up north! I have wanted to do that since I was a little girl!!! But so far I haven't been able to convince anyone to go with me!

love, marcella