Thursday, February 15, 2007

Tonight is THE night

Tonight is the society night of the year here in Vienna. Tonight is the Opernball - the highlight of the ball season here in Vienna.

Those mere mortals (like myself and my hosts) who either waited too long (tickets sold out in under two hours), or didn't have the money (cheap tickets start at 250 Euros ($381.46 Cdn) are watching the live broadcast on national TV. To celebrate the evening we have brought along a bottle of champagne and once the actual ball gets started (we've been watching the pre-ball show for the past hour) I'll be able to report all the nitty details.

Some interesting facts:
- The whole floor of the operahall is stripped of seating and becomes a dancefloor.
- This year the decoration theme seems to tropical green with plenty of white orchids.
- You can rent a Loge (one of the opera boxes) starting at 4,000 Euros for a peasant box.
- 360 men and women (180 couples) open the night with the Poloniase - try outs are conducted at the famous Elmayr school and couples are choosen months in advance.
- All you men, don't bother coming unless you're properly attired - tuxedos are mandatory.
- Ladies, you could try wearing your grad dresses, but unless you picked out something really spectacular, I wouldn't recommend it. Good ball dresses (won't rip, beading won't fall off, etc.) start at 200 Euros.

Here is a picture of the inside of the Staatsoper from last week when I went to the opera. You'll have to imagine it decorated with thousands upon thousands of white orchids and thousands upon thousands of tropical palm leaves.




Oh yay, it's starting....

OK new facts I just found out:

- Miss Ukraine is part of one of the opening couples
- Yeah, grad dresses are not going to cut it...ladies...use this as an excuse to go shopping.
- There are 5,500 guests who have plan on making an appearance tonight.
- This is the 165th Opernball.
- Oh my. There is a horse on the floor. A horse and a carriage with one of the opera prima donnas in it. Oh wow that lady can sing....my goodness...now there's an ivy swing suspended from the ceiling.
- As some of you may have heard, Paris Hilton is the special guest of the evening. So far the cameras have shown her checking her self out in her hand mirror, peering into her purse and looking completely bored. How typical. Somehow I don't think this ball stuff is quite Paris' thing.
- Alright, an update...that opera prima donna I wrote about? Anna Netrebko, currently one of Russia's most loved opera singers. She is starring in Massenet's Manon which debuts in March at the Staatsopera.
- Oh dear me...I think I'm going to be sick. Paris was just on live interview and how pathetic she sounds....she just said that she loves being here and it's a new experience and she loves new experiences. Uh huh. But when she's not up and close the cameras she looks completely bored.
- A Bulgarian author was just interviewed, according to him if this was held in Bulgaria it would last three days and there would be dancing on the tables.
- This is the first Opernball where there is a poker table for guests who haven't spent enough on the tickets and Loge.
- At midnight there is a famous dance the Quadrattanz. I haven't seen it yet, but the TV spokespeople are busy asking all the celebrities to dance it. I'll post more once I've seen it.
- Next dress code wear update...men are not allowed to wear wrist watches....pocket watches are ok, wrist watches are not. Got that all you men just itching to go to the 2008 Opernball?

Alright...so finally some pictures. Yes, I know the quality is quite horrible but it was the best I could do. Want better pictures? Send me as your official correspondent to next year's Opernball.

The opening couples.


One of the first dances, the floor is packed.


Richard Lugner, some girl that he paid to be his guest and his wife Mousie Lugner.


Anna Netrebko, the real star of the evening, in a raspberry red Escada dress.


Please note: all pictures with ORF 2 in the top corner are from the live broadcast on national TV.

5 comments:

Little Miss Domestica said...

Okay - Paris Hilton-Boo!

And Anna Netrebko? I am going to go see her perform in "Eugene Onegin" at the Metropolitan Opera House via satellite at the Paramount Chinook in a few weeks. She is amazing.

and I'm not because I watch opera at the movie theatre....

Anonymous said...

She was very pretty at Vienna Ball with ayellow dress.
www.philton.org

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! Sounds like a fairy-tale. Except for the Paris Hilton part - unfortunatly, very much a reality!

Natasha said...

So your saying I can't wear jeans?

I doubt anyone would have much luck dragging me to the Opernball. (unless of course I got to be the official photographer)

But it sounds like an interesting event at any rate.

Anonymous said...

not your typical night at the roadhouse eh. But its looks really fun though.