Monday, February 5, 2007

Yes, I'm still alive...

I still don't have my own internet connection yet so I've been writing my posts on my laptop. I was going to wait to upload them until I have my own connection, but it could still be a week or two so I'll start adding them now already.

Here is the first (pictures will hopefully be added once my connection is up)...

Thursday, February 1, 2007

The elusive connection...

There we were - two girls in deserate need. It had been almost ten hours and we were already craving our next session. It wasn't a matter of want, it was a matter of need. And we needed our next session.

So there we sat: two girls, on the kitchen floor, with our laptops on chairs in front of us. What were we doing? Surfing the internet of course. I'd discovered a public wireless connection shortly after my arrival. As Ruth and Caroline didn't have school this morning we spent exploring which room in the apartment had the best reception. In the end, we ended up in the kitchen where we happilz sat for three hours. I was relieved to get caught up on most of my e-mail correspondence and blog work.

Partway through the afternoon Ruth decided she needed to go shopping. Of course, I went along (Refuse to go shopping? How could I?). Ruth has four weddings to attend this summer so she was on the search for some fabulous outfits. Once again our path led us to the Mariahilferstrasse. While she looked around at clothing I enjoyed the sights and the sounds.

Ok. Maybe not all the sights and sounds. We were accosted three times by males begging us to stop, spare a few minutes and listen to them (we didn't). Apparently a certain environmental group is in dire need of supporters. So much so, that they have taken to recruiting people off the street. Except, (yes, of course there's a catch) instead of marching against seal hunting or throwing pies at fur-wearing celebrities, you donate your money. That's right. Now, along with supporting whatever charity you normally support, you, yes you, can help save the whales...all by signing a contract stating that you will donate X amount/monthly. Great.

In other rather depressing (although entertaining) news...I met a few guys today. (Yeah, yeah, stop the catcalls already...I'm not finished yet.) My experiences with them made me decide to do a series of posts intitled: "Canada as we know it - comments and concerns expressed by Non-Canadians". Check the next post for the first installment.

No comments: